Taking Care of Business
We all have things in our lives of which we need to take care. I’ve been reminded of this too many times in the last five years as I’ve had my mother, then father, and finally, my wife die.
Add to that several of my friends recently passed into eternity. They were in their mid-sixties. They died while sleeping. I have other dear friends who lost their spouse or have spouses with life-threatening illnesses. As a result, I’ve come to realize the brevity of life in a personal way.
Because of the limitation of time and briefness of life, we must take care of business. The time for doing it is now. I want to suggest five needs we all have that will help us take care of business now.
Five “Need to Dos” When Taking Care of Business
1. Hold What Needs Holding
Philippians 2:16 English Standard Version (ESV), “holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.”
- Hold on to your loved ones.
- Hold on to your values.
- Hold on to God’s principles and truths.
2. Mend What Needs Mending
Ephesians 4:32 (ESV), “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
Mend that broken relationship with family, a friend, or business associates.
- Call them – take responsibility
- Visit them – forgive them
- Send a note or email – take the first step.
3. Walk What Needs Walking
Matthew 5:41 (ESV), “And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.”
If you are a writer:
- Get started – stop dreaming and start writing. Write that novel.
- Get off dead center – submit the rejected manuscript to another agent or editor.
- Stop procrastinating – do the rewrites the editor wants.
4. Say What Needs Saying
Ephesians 4:29 (ESV), “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”
- Have you found that words hurt you? Your words can also hurt others.
- Don’t let your words hurt others.
- Be a good finder, not a nitpicker.
5. Pray What Needs Praying
1 John 1:9 (ESV), “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
John 16:24 (ESV), “Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.”
Takeaway: Ask God what plans He has for you and then do them!
Jeremiah 33:3 (ESV), “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.”