One week from today I retire from my day job. The next day I begin retirement and my “retirement” job.
What will I be doing you ask?
I’ll answer that two ways. First, here’s what I won’t be doing.
- I will not be getting up early.
- I will not be driving in rush hour traffic.
- I will not be on-call or be serving computer servers and applications.
- I will not go to Starbucks every day.
- I will not be looking forward to retirement; I’ll be retired.
Second, here is what I will be doing.
- I’ll have a cup of coffee and bowl of oatmeal at home for breakfast.
- I’ll read the Bible in my recliner.
- I hope to go a new coffee group on Monday mornings where I’ll enjoy some of Miss Benita’s former coworker’s company.
- On Friday mornings I plan on returning to the Men’s Bible Study at Prestonwood Baptist and fellowshipping with friends after the Bible study.
- I’ll walk each morning at either The Shops at Willow Bend (in the climate controlled comfort) or at the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve.
- Daily I plan on writing for three to four hours in the morning. I hope to write 750 to 1000 words a day Monday – Friday.
- I hope for a leisurely at home lunch most days.
- Twice a month I look forward to lunch with my best guy friend Les and to have coffee with friends living in the Prestonhollow, Lake Highlands, and Richardson area on the days I go to Wednesday evening writer’s group.
- On Monday nights I hope to attend a Men’s Bible study. I also plan on doing the majority of the cooking, laundry, cleaning, yard work, etc at home.
- When Miss Benita is off work during the week I will either spend it with her or if I am too much in her way then retreat to my writer’s life.
- I also plan on an early afternoon nap daily. I then will do an afternoon 30-minute walk at Nebraska Furniture before spending two or three hours a day Monday – Friday doing the business of writing work like networking, blogging, and marketing.
- The first Wednesday evening of each month is First Wednesday services at the church.
- Twice a month I will attend my night writer’s group. I am also planning on reading more, hopefully, a fiction and nonfiction book a week.
- I hope to get more involved with alumni and Corps of Cadet Alumni Council activities at one of my colleges, UT Arlington.
- I am also praying about starting a 401 (c) 3 non-profit ministry.
Retirement doesn’t look boring to me.
Photo source: Pixaby