Seven Reminders For Developing Staying Power
Christians today need what I call “staying power.” I define staying power as the ability and action of continuing in your walk with Jesus Christ for your lifetime.
The need for staying power exists for the average Christian. The need exists for the man or woman in full-time ministry, and yes, even for the Christian writer.
Staying power helps you continue is your daily walk with Jesus. Staying power helps you to finish the article or book where it doesn’t end up in a drawer or as a forgotten file on your computer’s hard drive. It allows you to keep submitting and writing despite the rejections or poor sales.
Here are seven reminders that will help you develop staying power.
“We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;” – 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 ESV
Reminder #1 – I Must Remember That God Loves Me
“Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart.” – 2 Corinthians 4:1 ESV
“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” – 1 Corinthians 15:10 ESV
- Our performance does not give us our worth.
- God’s grace gives us the power to start over.
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” – Romans 8:37 ESV
Reminder #2 – I Must Maintain a Clear Conscience
“But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.” – 2 Corinthians 4:2 ESV
- I must have and maintain my integrity.
- I must have and maintain my character.
Reminder #3 – I Must Have The Right Motivation
“For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.” – 2 Corinthians 4:5 ESV
- Our ego will only take us so far
- We proclaim Christ Jesus.
Reminder #4 – I Must Accept My Limitations
“But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.” – 2 Corinthians 4:7 ESV
- We must pace ourselves.
- We must do our part to maintain our health.
Reminder #5 – I Must Love Other People
“For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.” – 2 Corinthians 4:15 ESV
- It’s God’s love that extends His grace to His glory.
- As God loves me unconditionally, I need to love others.
Reminder #6 – I Must Take Time to Recharge
“So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.” – 2 Corinthians 4:16 ESV
- Our inner self is being renewed day by day.
- Recharging helps us to not lose heart.
Reminder #7 – I Must Keep My Eye On The Goal
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” – 2 Corinthians 4:17-18
- You cannot produce if you do not face the problems and keep on keeping on to the goal.
- Our problems won’t last forever. Remember, God’s faithfulness that you experienced when you had past problems. He’s still here and still faithful.